The Moss Haven Farm
Recruiting Helpful Hands…
Moss Haven Farm exists to cultivate a respect for the earth and food-growth process in our students. Our vision is that they will develop a lifelong interest in responsible environmental practices, seek to live a healthy lifestyle, and cultivate a passion for giving back to the community. In addition to enriching academics, our program seeks to spark positive growth in our students’ families and our community.
Moss Haven Farm is a non-profit organization and depends on public support to achieve our goals.
About Farmer Kim:
Kim Aman, or “Farmer Aman” as she is known at Moss Haven, has deep farming roots. Her grandfather grew crops in central Ohio and taught her all about soil, plants, animals, and the beauty of biting into a vine-ripened tomato.
Throughout the school year Kim shares her classroom talents with every grade at Moss Haven. She loves teaching and looks forward to the days she’s digging in the dirt with her student farmers.
Kim taught special education for two decades in the Richardson Independent School District (RISD). In 2013 she was named RISD Teacher of the Year, as well as WFAA’s Eco Educator of the Year. Her garden programs have formed partnerships with the American Heart Association Teaching Garden Program, United Way of Metropolitan Dallas, The Cooper Institute, Healthy Zone Schools, Texas Master Gardener Association, Grow North Texas, Slow Food and Whole Kids Foundation.
Farm Highlights Include:
- Dedicated crop beds for each class
- Herb and history gardens
- Texas Native bed
- Rain catchment and measurement system
- Solar energy irrigation system
- Purple Martin House gourd system
- Learning area with custom tree stump chairs and outdoor chalkboard
- 1500-gallon rainwater harvest systems
- Growing for Giving Garden, high yield crops are donated to North Texas Food Bank
- Compost system, where students place lunch scraps
- After school 4H Club and Farm Club for students
- Certified National Wildlife Habitat and approved Texas Master Gardner volunteer site
- American Heart Association Teaching Garden
- United Way’s Healthy Zone School
- Supplier fresh produce for school salad bar
- Home to a custom chicken coop housing our Egg Laying/ Hatching Poultry Program
The Moss Haven Farm
Home of the 2019 A Peep at the Coop Urban Tour
May 5, 2019
A Peep at the Coops is a one-day tour of private urban chicken coops in East Dallas. The event features some of the most innovative coops for raising chickens in North Texas, and experts to answer all of your questions about urban chickens. The family-friendly event also features a Country Market with local artisan and food vendors, community information booths, live entertainment, food trucks and other activities that the whole family will enjoy.
A Peep at the Coops is the largest fundraiser for Moss Haven Farm, which is entirely supported by community and corporate support.
- Thursday, October 1
- Friday, October 9
- Monday, October 12
- Wednesday, October 28
- Tuesday, November 3
- Thursday, November 5
- Monday, November 23
- Tuesday, November 24
- Wednesday, November 25
- Thursday, November 26